Introduction to Eco-Schools
The Eco-Schools award programme is an international programme, providing a simple framework to help make sustainability an integral part of school life. Eco-Schools can help enhance the curriculum and get the whole school united behind something important.
Eco-schools operate in 50 countries and over 1,700 schools currently fly the Green Flag in England. In Surrey 300 schools have achieved an award with 65 schools gaining a Green Flag. With two of our schools achieving the highest award of Green Flag Ambassador; Hurst Park Primary School and Polesden Lacey Primary School. An 'eco-school' is one which is committed to improving their sustainability both inside the school buildings and outside in the school grounds. Eco-school is an international programme that provides a structured approach to sustainability education, involving pupils, teachers, parents and governors and the local community?.
Your school can make gradual improvements in working towards embedding sustainability in the curriculum, through following the steps in the Eco-schools programme. To get started with your Eco-Schools journey follow this link to our helpful video link -
Why get Involved?
- Save your school money by reducing energy, water and waste.
- Help you reduce congestion around your school by encouraging walking, cycling and use of public transport.
- It can help enrich your school curriculum
- Find new ways to re-use and recycle items that help the environment, charities and school funds.
- Have litter-free sites that are welcoming to visitors, pupils, staff and wildlife.
- Provide opportunities for the pupils to take responsibility. Pupils are given jobs to help the school recycle, compost and monitor energy and water use. Pupils often chair the Eco-committee meetings and take the minutes.
- Your school can take pride in their achievements and use them to engage local communities in taking action.
- Promote sustainability awareness issues by linking projects to a range of curriculum subjects as well as extra-curricular activities.